Q: What are the adverse health effects from breathing elevated mold levels indoors?
A: Mold can cause asthma, respiratory problems, throat and lung irritation, infections, skin rashes, burnings eyes, flu-like symptoms, fatigue, dizziness, and nausea. Inhalation of toxic molds can result in liver or central nervous system damage and cancer. In certain cases mold can begin growing in the lungs.
Q: If the mold is not toxic, does it still need to be removed?
A: Yes. All molds are allergens and have the potential to cause adverse health effects. While certain mold species are toxigenic (poisonous through inhalation), pathogenic (agents of disease), or carcinogenic (cancer causing), all molds can trigger allergic reactions.
Q: Can't I just spray the affected area with bleach and kill the mold?
A: No. It is necessary to remove the mold, not just to kill it. Whether dead or alive, mold spores remain allergenic and certain molds may be toxic. The use of bleach is not recommended as a routine practice during mold remediation.
Q: Can't I just paint over the mold?
A: No. Paint applied over moldy surfaces is likely to peel. Hidden mold may be present behind the drywall. The full extent of growth needs to be identified and the mold removed.
Q: If I increase the ventilation in my attic, won't the mold clear up on its own?
A: No. Once mold growth occurs, it remains until removed. Mold eats into the wood. Spores remain able to grow for years after they are produced. Dead or alive, mold spores easily become airborne and remain allergenic or toxigenic.
Q: What is hidden mold?
A: Mold growing behind drywall, paneling, wallpaper, under carpeting, or on the top-side of ceilings. Mold spores easily become airborne and can affect the air you breathe. Air testing is a useful tool in detecting the presence of hidden mold not clearly visible to the naked eye.

Mold Inspections, Remediation Plans, and Project Management
"We guide you through the mold maze"

email us